India’s Food Safety and Standards Authority is in charge of guaranteeing the country’s food safety and security. To begin operations and maintain compliance, all food company operators operating in India must register with the FSSAI.
Also, read- food license
Most people are aware that your health and safety are safeguarded by a legally recognized independent authority. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, or FSSAI, is a government-run organization that reports to the Ministry of Health and Welfare. Sections 31(1) and 31(2) of the 2006 Food Safety and Standards Act govern the autonomous body’s operations. Owners must be familiar with the FSSAI registration process because all food industry operators in India are required to register with the FSSAI. The FSSAI’s basic registration criteria are outlined in detail below.
What are the registration types of FSSAI?
The ultimate goal for all food industry operators must be to ensure food safety and satisfaction. In order to attain the goal, the government created the Indian Food Safety and Standards Authority. Three kinds of FSSAI registrations are available for business owners, according to their company characteristics.
- Large food enterprises central license
- State medium-food company license
- Small food companies’ basic registration
What are the basic FSSAI registration eligibility criteria?
Small food merchants and vendors must register with the FSSAI. Individuals who make or sell food goods, whether directly or through a retailer, hawker, or temporary stall owner, are required to register with the FSSAI. In addition, the FSSAI regulates slaughter and processing equipment and milk production equipment. Furthermore, companies that distribute food on a regular basis at religious or social gatherings must register with the FSSAI. Furthermore, all operators operating in small-scope food enterprises with annual sales below Rs, FSSAI welcomes registration.Rs. 12 lakh.
Food business operations must meet the following conditions to be eligible for FSSAI basic registration.
- Food production capacity for manufacturing units should be less than 100 kg/liter per day
- Milk production units with a capacity of more than 500 liters per day or 2.5 metric tons (MT) per year
- Vegetable oil production units with a capacity of less than 100 kg or liters per day.
- Similarly, meat processing units whose production falls below 100 kg per day or 30 metric tonnes per day.
- In addition, slaughterhouses with a capacity of two large, ten small, or fifty chickens per day.
- Cold Storage Units, Wholesalers, Suppliers, Transporters, Retailers, and Distributors with an annual turnover not exceeding 12 lakhs.
- Dhaba owners, clubs, canteens, hotels, and restaurants whose annual turnover does not exceed 12 lakh.
What is Basic FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI registration is mandatory for all food businesses operating within India, and the basic registration is completely separate from the FSSAI license. Individuals can complete the FSSAI Basic Registration online by filling the registration form through the Food Licensing and Registration System. In addition, the FLRS system enables food business operators to track their applications and learn more about updates and changes in laws. Around 35 states and union territories in India now issue license or registration certificates online.
The FSSAI registration is valid for one to five years, depending on the business owner’s preference. At the time of application, individuals have the option of selecting a time frame for their license or registration. All operators, however, must apply for renewal at least 30 days before their licenses expire.
Suggested read- food license online
FSSAI Basic Registration Required Documents
- Photo Identity Proof of Food Business Operator: Ration Card, Voter ID, PAN Card, Driving License, Passport, Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card, or ID issued by the department
- Product Categories List
- Duly filled and signed Form – B
- Articles of Association / Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Memorandum of Association
- Tax receipts, sale deeds, and rental agreements are also acceptable proofs of the business address.
- No objections to the Food Safety Management System Plan Municipality/Panchayat Certificate, Health Department
- raw material source
- Duly filled Form IX
- water test report
- Import-export codes for businesses that want to do business internationally
- Equipment List
- List of Partners and Directors with their contact details.